When I say “honey bee” does it conjure up images of Blake Shelton offering himself up as your honeysuckle?
Or do you find yourself resembling this?
Either way, today enjoy the sweeter side of honey and celebrate National Honey Bee Day! Here’s why:
- The antioxidants in honey are believed to reduce the risk of some cancers and heart disease. Honey may also help to treat ulcers and bacterial gastroenteritis.
- All honey is antibacterial. No don’t wash your hands with it, but it can be used as an anti-fungal treatment. It’s also great on wounds and burns.
- It’s said to improve athletic performance.
- And we have all reached for it when suffering from a cough or throat irritation.
- Improve your skin by adding honey to your home beauty treatments. There are tons of ‘recipes’ that bring out the natural moisturizing and nourishing benefits.
And seriously, it’s almost impossible to resist the bear shaped bottles!
Honey is a staple at most Farmers Markets. It is as diverse as the regions of the country. Look for Blueberry Honey in New England, Aster Honey throughout the Mid-Southern portions of the US. You will find Eucalyptus Honey in California and Orange Blossom Honey in Texas and Florida. Head to your local farmers market today and be sure to visit with your area beekeeper. Find out what varietals they are offering and ask them for recipes and additional uses. You are sure to be impressed!